Saturday, August 06, 2005

100 Things About Me

You knew this would happen sooner or later, right? Eventually every blogger does it. It's the blogging law. If you've done it, send me the link. If you haven't done it, do it and send me the link. (No blog? Set one up in under five minutes at Blogger.) I love reading these and getting to know things about people.

1. I was born on April 24.
2. I have known only two other people personally that share my birthday. One is my niece.
3. My parents were 16 when they got married.
4. They were roughly 26 when they divorced.
5. I have 1 brother, 1 step-brother, 1 half brother, 2 step-sisters and 1 half sister.
6. I met my first husband when I was 12.
7. I married him soon after my 19th birthday.
8. From the time I was quite young, I wanted to be a defense attorney.
9. I am so not.
10. My first real date was with a boy named Alan Gettys who was a senior in high school and I was a freshman.
11. We went to see "Alien" and then we ate at Shoney's.
12. I was positive I would marry him someday and I think he had the same thought.
13. I didn't.
14. I have a spectacularly beautiful daughter whose nickname is Kitten.
15. I have an amazingly handsome son whose nickname is Big Dog.
16. I love music.
17. I love good books, but typically only non-fiction. The only work of fiction I've ever enjoyed is the Patricia Cornwell series and I think I've read them all.
18. I am a business consultant for several different companies.
19. I'm 5'5" and strangely enough, I've always felt I'm too tall.
20. I think the scariest movies are the ones that have little kids in them who whisper stuff. Whispering kids freak me out.
21. I have had OCD for as long as I can remember, but was not diagnosed until my late twenties. I tried to keep it a secret from friends and co-workers until I was about thirty-nine. There are several very good informational sites about OCD, but for a real glimpse into the disorder, you should read personal stories.
22. My husband is the only man I've ever met who has read "Phenomenal Woman " by: Maya Angelou. I think I fell in love with him the moment he told me that.
23. In our relationship, I was the first one to say, "I love you". I had never done that before.
24. I regret I couldn't see that I was pretty back when I was.
25. Because of my OCD, I often have an extreme sensitivity to the feeling of certain fabrics and clothing. At certain times, I cannot wear anything except loosely fitting all cotton clothing.
26. I believe in God.
27. I think God believes in me.
28. My Mother was pregnant at my high school graduation.
29. I have a severe fly phobia. Everyone who really knows me knows about it and makes fun of me for it.
30. I think the most spiritual place I've ever been is on the beach at sundown.
31. I don't believe in accidents.
32. The person who has loved me most in my life was my Grandmother.
33. She died in 1983.
34. My daughter is named after her. Her middle name is "Rosie". My Grandmother's legal name was Rosa, but she hated it and so people only called her Rosie.
35. I think reincarnation is bogus, but I have met people in my life who I feel strongly I have known before and with whom I have some unexplained connection. I can't reconcile those opposing feelings.
36. I've always known how I will die, but until now I've only said that to one person because it sounds freaky.
37. I laugh out loud pretty much every day of my life, even on the worst days.
38. I am suspicious of anyone that is too nice to me.
39. As horrible as it sounds, I think men lie easier than women do.
40. I can't roller skate even though I've always wanted to learn. I can however water ski.
41. I get excited about new cleaning products the way most women get excited about a new purse.
42. I hate my lips.
43. In conjunction with the OCD, or co-morbid, I have mild Tourette's which shows itself in tics. Most often they are at their worst when I am upset about something. It's terribly embarassing to have it happen and the only person I talk about it to is my husband. While I'm sure other people notice it, no one mentions it.
44. If someone can make me laugh hysterically, I love them forever.
45. In my first marriage, we didn't laugh together. If I laughed too much, my husband told me to stop being silly. I hate that word to this day.
46. Seven is good. Six is bad.
47. I have a thing for Underwood Deviled Ham. That's weird.
48. Even though I love seafood, I have never once eaten lobster because it would make me feel guilty.
49. I think my daughter has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard. It gives me chills.
50. I often write very serious stuff, but I almost never let anyone read it.
51. My husband has kept everything I've ever written him, even if it was only a note with less than ten words on it. I think that's the most romantic thing anyone has ever done for me.
52. I find people's life stories fascinating. I love to listen to them.
53. I have a crazy affection for candles and everyone that knows me knows that. No man has ever bought me a candle, though. I find that remarkable.
54. I do not celebrate New Year's, other than staying awake until it has come in. It has to do with an obsession I have.
55. I wish I lived in a house that was entirely underground.
56. My husband has an amazing voice and it makes my knees weak when he sings to me, but because he thinks he doesn't have a good voice, he almost never sings to me.
57. Fall is my favorite time of year. I feel like I am only truly alive in autumn.
58. I'm terrified of reaching the end of my life without ever becoming who I was supposed to be. That is my biggest fear.
59. Most of my best friends in life have been men. I am fortunate that I have a husband who is not threatened by that.
60. The worst physical pain I've ever experienced was when I had a kidney stone in 1985.
61. I truly love banana splits.
62. Although I took piano lessons for a few years, I can't play. That makes me sad. And pathetic.
63. I think the way our society creates celebrity is ridiculous. I have very little respect for most "famous" people.
64. I love old movies, even the ones with Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney that involve putting on a show in a barn.
65. I was the oldest teenager I knew. When I was sixteen chronologically, I was thirty-five on the inside.
66. I really do have a thing for monkeys.
67. My friend Kaye and I have been friends since freshman year of high school and have remained friends no matter how far away I've gone or how long it has been between visits to NC. I love her.
68. My nickname is Bear and has been since I was a kid. My Mother gave it to me. My step-kids from my second marriage (whom I still love very much) always called me Sher Bear. They still do.
69. Speaking of my second marriage, one of my best friends is my second husband. He's a pretty great guy and I think of him as a brother...weird as that sounds.
70. I really like his wife as well and I work for her as a business consultant.
71. Although in high school I never dated boys my own age (always older), there was one boy who was in my class that I secretly thought I might like to go out with, but I never told anyone. He was a "nerd", but I liked something about him. He never had any idea. He's probably a billionaire now.
72. I also had a secret crush on my best friend Kaye's older brother, but for some bizarre & unexplained reason, I decided to fix him up with my sister. They dated for years. (Kaye never knew..until now.)
73. Because of my love of music,I have a nasty little addiction to iTunes.
74. I have absolutely no athletic skills, but I do try to toss the football around with my son and play horse with him as well. He laughs at me.
75. I DETEST anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medications and am firmly convinced they are incredibly over prescribed in our society.
76. My daughter once told me if I wrote my entire life story, no one would be able to read it because it's too upsetting. That's the day I stopped writing my life story.
77. I love words. That sounds a little odd, but I really do. For me, words are brush strokes. I'm attracted to people that use pretty words.
78. The woman I am today would kick the ass (pardon my language) of the woman I was ten or even twenty years ago. I was a door mat, a mouse of a woman.
79. I probably say "I love you" at least fifty times a day. I want to make sure the people I love know I love them.
80. I joke a lot about twirling fire batons, but the truth behind that is I was a baton twirler when I was younger. I was never good enough to twirl the fire batons and I was way jealous of the girl on our squad who was.
81. When I was thirty-six, I came down with a bizarre illness that made me feel crazy dizzy and fall down a lot. It lasted a couple weeks and I spent a few days in the hospital because doctors thought I'd had a stroke. Only one co-worker came to visit me when I was there. Mr. Man didn't even show up. I cried after he left because I thought it was so sweet. I've been a fan of that cop ever since. (He'll read this and know who he is.)
82. In my family, I was the only kid who left North Carolina. I left at eighteen and have only been back for visits. My family thinks I'm nuts.
83. My senior year of high school, I was voted Miss March for the Key Club Calendar. When the President of the Key Club called to tell me I'd been chosen and that I needed to make an appointment with the photographer, I almost didn't go because I thought it was a joke. My Grandmother made me.
84. I was embarrassed as a child that I was smart, so I spent a lot of years dumbing myself down, so to speak. I regret that very much.
85. If I could choose any other time period in which to live, it would be the 40's. I have a fascination for anything having to do with WWII and I collect "stuff" from that era.
86. I want very much to see the National WWII Memorial someday.
87. I have been to Dachau twice. I've never felt anything like it before or since. It was overwhelming. I stood here and sobbed because you can't be in that room and not feel the very spirits of those who left this world in such a horrible way. (Think about how we died here.) You can see more pictures of Dachau here and also here. If you ever have the chance to go, you should.
88. The women in my family on my Mother's side have always been somewhat intuitive, strange as that sounds. The stories I could tell you about them would likely make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. I've always been very sensitive to places and have completely freaked my husband out more than once when we've driven past some place in the county where he grew up and I've correctly told him something about it.(Insert Twilight Zone music here.)
89. I'm always amazed at how self-absorbed people can be. If you find someone in life that really listens to you, you have found something of value.
90. I am convinced that a cure for every disease common to man can be found in nature. Human beings complicate things too much. That will be our ultimate undoing.
91. I believe that everyone who crosses our paths, no matter for how long, is there to teach us and to be taught by us.
92. I'm persuaded that until we learn whatever lesson it is we need to learn from a situation or a person, we will continue to be presented with it. I think that's why we sometimes have people and problems in our lives from which we can't seem to break free. It's like they are on a loop, periodically popping up again and again.
93. I always feel guilty when I want something... no matter how small a thing it might be.
94. My feelings get hurt frequently and easily, although I'm pretty good at making sure you'd never know it.
95. Frankly, I suck at decorating. Whatever female gene that provides for the ability to be all Martha Stewartie is missing in me. I surround myself with things I love, which are usually vintage, and that's as far as it goes.
96. I've been told most of my life by my male friends that I think more like a man than any woman they've ever met. I have no idea whether that is a compliment or a slam.
97. I hate lakes, but I love cat fishing.
98. There is only one person in this life with whom I feel I have unfinished business. There are things that need to be said, things that need to be heard and no matter how long or how hard I have tried to close that door, I will never really be able to do it until I feel it's settled. Unfortunately, I can't just pick up the phone and do that because he is a stubborn jack ass.
99. In my opinion MTV is some of the worst garbage on TV and completely detrimental to our youth. I hate it and what I feel it's done to our kids.
100. This 100 Things thing took me two days to finish and now I'm wondering why the heck I did it anyway. You totally have to do it, too.

Copyright © 2004-2005, Sherri Bailey
This blog may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the express written permission of the author.

Tell me you love me at: HumorWriter@gmail.com

Tell me you hate me at: Yeah. I'm so sure I'm going to make that easy for you.

Add to My Yahoo!

Visit Ms. Crazy On Her Face Online

No comments: