Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Dear Brady,


Your Mom, my Kitten, got to see you today at her appointment. You weigh almost six pounds now and just like your Grammy was in 1964, you are upside down.

A breech baby.

Your Great-Grandpa Ralph has always told me I came into this world bass-ackwards and I've had trouble ever since. I'll never say that to you, my sweet boy. Instead, I choose to think you're a tiny dynamo who already has his own way of doing things.

You make your own rules, Brady. I think that means we are going to get along famously, as that's exactly how I am.

The doctor says you are going to be delivered to us via C-Section. You are scheduled now to arrive on June 28th, 2010. That means I only have to wait four more Mondays to be able to see that precious, scrunched up face in person.

I'll be right outside the doors when your Mom & Dad bring you into the world, and depending upon how good my sucker punch is, I hope to be the first to pry you from their arms and kiss those round cheeks. Mommy will have a lot of recuperating to do, and Daddy will want time to care for her and to get to know you, so I am going to be there, in the background, taking care of all the things that need to be taken care of for them. Your little family needs sweet time to get to know each other, and Grammy is going to make sure you get it.

I'll cook and clean and wait on your parents as if they were staying at the Ritz. They'll never need to so much as lift a finger to get themselves something to drink. But, my darling baby, when they need a nap, Grammy is going to creep into their room and scoop you up so that I can rock you and tell you stories and make you promises. I want to breath you in and I want you and I to have our own little worship service. After all, you'll have just left the Father's arms and I am convinced that holding you will be as close as I ever get to hugging God - on this side of Heaven anyway.

I want you to know that your picture came to me today, just when I needed it most. In an instant, I went from "woe is me" to crying tears of pure joy. I think that's a sign. I predict you'll always have that affect on me, and on the others who love you.

I'll see you soon, Baby Brady. I love you. So very much.

Love,
Grammy

(Am I a Grammy or a Grandma or a YaYa? I need help picking a Grandma name.)




Contact Sherri Bailey at humorwriter at gmail dotcom.
Copyright © Sherri Bailey
This blog may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the express written permission of the author.
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

11 comments:

Dawn said...

I'm laying cash money on the sucker punch.

My mother (or as I call her "Queenie") is a Nana in this family. Or Nana Banana, as the little ones call her. And she is a force to be reckoned with, as you shall be I'm sure.

And the whole hugging God thing? Love it. And they do look a little like Buddha, don't they?

My word verification is be cub. I think it's quite fitting in that Kitten has a cub on the way. Now Nana (or Grammy, or Mimi, or whatever) can't wait for you to be, Cub.

Mellodee said...

How lovely! Looking forward to your first grandbaby is one of life's greatest joys. Mazel Tov!

Finding a name you and baby can agree on is really hard to predict. I'd love to tell you the story of how I became "Grammy" and Hubs got to be "Poppa". If you're interested, I'd be happy to share! Just let me know!

kjax said...

I'm so excited for you and I know I'm nowhere near excited as you are, so you are probably reading this from the ceiling.

In my family we have Grannie, Grammie, G.G.(for great-grannie), Nana, and my SIL has decided for her grandkids to call her something that sounds like "awney" but I have no idea how to spell it. She's a Yankee and has a lot of strange ideas. lol

I have one friend who calls her grandparents "Big Mama" and "Big Daddy." Would you care to be a Big Mama?

Sherri said...

Y'all are too sweet! I'm insanely excited. My beautiful daughter is creating a little person! How wild is that????

Phil said...

I think the name Grammy suits you well. Grammy or Nana are my votes. But something tells me Brady gets the most important vote of all - whatever he calls you will not only stick, but it'll melt your heart.

Breech baby? C-section? Tell Kitten not to worry. My wife had three C-sections and quite frankly, I didn't feel a thing...

...
...
...

Oh my! Look at the time! Gotta run now!

Sherri said...

Oh Up2Da - you're such a cool customer. :-)

Ryan said...

Congratulations!

I think Grammy definitely suits you!

Sherri said...

Thanks, Ryan! I'm a very happy chick!

"Alone again.... naturally!" said...

Seeing my first grandbaby today, she is a bit older than Brady but I feel about her as you feel about him...this post brought tears to my eyes! Cathy

Sherri said...

Aww, thank you Alone! I'm very excited.

Pattylicious said...

I wish our parents felt about all of our children the way you feel about Baby Brady. Congrats to you. May all of your wishes and dreams come true for your new miracle.

Patricia